Yesterday. Uggh! Yesterday was just a bad day. I don't need any repeats any time soon.
So, when I woke up yesterday, my eyes were still a little irritated from working the day before. Having itchy, dry eyes is just not fun, especially when you aren't even wearing contacts. Needless to say, I was not feeling all that much up to par. . .
I spent most of the day cleaning over at our old house. We think we are probably going to try to sell it. Any ways, Joshua was being a total pill bug. He was getting into EVERYTHING! I love him to death, but sometimes, if he weren't my own flesh and blood, I just might consider giving him away. So, we ended up going home before I even finished what I wanted to- for my sanity's sake and for joshua's safety (That was a joke! You should all know by now not to take my words seriously).
I don't cook all that often cause my husband and I are on different schedules a lot, but since I had the day off, I thought I would be a good wife and make my husband some good food. I had some pinwheel steaks that were defrosting in the fridge and decided that sounded pretty good. Last time I made them, I baked them in the oven, (like the packaging suggested) and they turned out pretty dry and not so great. I don't think either one of us finished them. So, I thought if I grilled them on the stove in a cast iron skillet, they would taste a lot better.
So, I got the mashed potatoes and gravy going, and put some corn on the back burner, and the meat was cooking quite nicely. Now comes the time to flip the little steaks over to cook the other side. I reached into the drawer to grab a hot pad, and to my dismay, Joshua had lugged them off to some unknown hiding place in the house. I could not find one! So, I figured the next best thing would to just use a dish towel. There was absolutely no way I was going to touch the handle of the cast iron skillet with out some type of protection!
I flipped the first one over with out any problems. I get halfway flipping the second one over when I realize the kitchen towel is in FLAMES! FIRE! Really hot! So I freak out and throw the whole thing in the sink. By this point, my husband is laughing HYSTERICALLY and I am feeling pretty low. I have never had any cooking "accidents" to this degree ever before. So, I politely tell my husband that HE can finish cooking the meat as I sulk in to the bedroom and not two minutes later, the fire alarm goes off. Of course, this just fuels my husbands laughter and Joshua doesn't quite know what to think.
Everything still turned out okay, though. The food was still edible, and the house was still standing, and thankfully, the fire department didn't show up on our door step. And the best part? My husband was very grateful for my efforts because in his words, "Wow! It's not everyday I get dinner and a show!"
Moral of the story: Sometimes you just have to cry to get to the laughter, and don't sweat the small stuff. . .like a little fire in the kitchen.
Thursday, February 7, 2008
Just a bad day
Yep. I wrote this. . .
Megan
at
11:08 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
How did it get so late so soon? It's night before it's afternoon. December is here before it's June. My goodness how the time has flown. how did it get so late so soon? -Dr. Seuss

3 comments:
I have started and put out many a fire. Marshmellows are the best when they have been on fire. You may think I am talking about over the camp fire...but I am not:P
Well.. that story makes it had to type without laughing. First I want to say hi to you and your husband and I hope things have been well over the yrs. Second, I am going to side with Joshua. But do not know worry, I am in tears too, but I think that they are more from laughing. I thought about you the other day. Remember the time we made some "apple sauce" in the desert?! Well, a friend needed me the way that you and Andy were there for me. I just wanted to say THANKS!
I hope you don't have any more bad days like that. I had an oven incident on Friday night. Bryan and I had went grocery shopping and bought some frozen pizza. When we got home he was getting the groceries out of the car and I ran into the apartment to turn on the oven to warm it up for the pizza. Well about 10 minutes later we were putting away groceries and I smelled something funny. A few days earlier I had made cupcakes and a cake and it was on a plate in the oven. The rest of the cake and the cupcakes were hard as a rock and the plates they were on were almost melting. I felt like a complete moron for forgetting they were in the oven. I think I freaked out Bryan though because we were putting away groceries one second and the next I was being freaking out about the cake.It took him a minute to realize what I was saying and then he ran to the oven to grab the cake and burned his fingers...
Post a Comment